Thursday, September 25, 2008

On doing nothing

This post was saved as a draft in error on 25th September.


Yesterday was a public holiday here in Trinidad and Tobago - Republic Day. After I checked and cleared my inbox, I open three documents with topics I've been toying with for my column and before I could settle down to work, I was inspired to take the day off and take it easy. That means Food Network, Lifetime Movie Network and HGTV.

Now I can take time off from writing and putter in my garden, sew and busy myself cooking up a three course meal. Once I am busy doing something I enjoy, I don't feel tired. I don't feel as if I am wasting time and missing out on something. Maybe it is because, my mind and my body are in motion, thinking, planning, producing - active.

But laying down only produces a greater desire to lay down and my body just seems to freeze and my brain can't generate a productive thought after that. By the time I realized that this day off was going to last right up to bedtime, I simply couldn't bring myself back up to speed. It was way too late.

So there I stayed, sprawled out on the couch. Leftovers were the order of the day of course and by night time I was just one whole lump of guilt.

When I slid in under the covers after eleven last night, I chided myself for feeling guilty because I also know that sometimes, it does us good to do absolutely nothing. A lazy day once in a while is good. It's good to morph into a couch potato now and then and let the day roll by.

Moments after I drafted this post, I read Brenda's on Waiting at entroute365. Maybe my motivation for doing nothing yesterday was my mind tell me to lay low and wait.

Do you every have those days?


No comments:

 
Share |