Saturday, November 15, 2008

Saturday Soirée - Connecting with other writers

I've met many writers in my ten-year writing career. We've never shook hands, never hugged, never sat together. Nevertheless, we have a bond like I've never known. Our connection runs deep and finds its source at the very core of what we love and enjoy doing. We share a common passion.

We are a writing community. We are writers with miscellaneous specialties and dispute our ongoing battles with the usual writing problems, we remain deeply passionate about putting our ideas on paper and screen.

One of the most wonderful aspects of this writing community is the individual and collective desire to help and encourage one another and inspire aspiring and emerging writers by sharing experiences, information, leads and news relevant to the writing profession.

You are doing yourself a grave disservice if you have been trying to function alone in your writing endeavors. Sure, go ahead, see and savor time alone to sit with your ideas. Write in solitude if that is how you're most productive but connect to other writers for that is where you will derive unimagined inspiration and encouragement on your writing journey.


These are just a few of the many writers who have impacted my writing and my life as a writer:


My name-sake Cheryl Wright

Jeanne Dininni

Sita Henderson

Jenna Glatzer

Krista Barrett

Earma Brown

Shaunna Privratsky

Magnolia Miller

Brenda Friedrich


Maybe you have already connected to some phenomenal writers who are walking with you through this stage of your writing journey. You're welcome to tell me and other writers who drop by here about your writer friends.



8 comments:

Terri Tiffany said...

Cheryl,
There are a group of writers that I have met online and at writers conferences who have made such an impact in my writing--with critiques and encouragement!! I'm not sure how writers functioned before the Internet!

Cheryl Wright said...

Good morning Terri,

I can barely recall life before the Internet. I can't imagine the kind of connections writers have now, existing then either.

All I can say is "Thank God" and enjoy all the positives.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

I'm very honored to be on your list. Thanks so much for your always-inspirational posts! Your blog is a place I always enjoy visiting...a retreat from the chaos and confusion of the outside world..a haven of peace and sanity amid the clamor of clashing voices and ideologies on the World Wide Web...a friendly, welcoming spot where I can stop to rest for a little while and receive sustenance--through your wisdom, encouragement, and inspiration.

Thank you! And thanks for sharing these links to the other writers who have influenced you. Isn't it wonderful the way we all have something special to offer one another which works for our mutual benefit?

Blessings,
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

Thank you so much for the shout out. I was just telling my husband about my new "friend" in Trinidad, named Cheryl Wright.

Thank you for introducing me and allowing me to be in the company of people you consider a friend as well.

You've inspired me in more ways that you may ever know.

Magnolia

Joanne said...

I've only recently found your blog, and am glad to count you among my writer friends. Your post today has much truth in it, there is strength (albeit virtual!) in numbers.

Cheryl Wright said...

Jeanne <> I appreciate all the kind things you said of my blog. You see? Right there is the evidence of what I wrote about – the phenomenal support writers give to one another.
Thank you.

Magnolia <> Just as you inspire me Mags.

Joanne <> I am honored that you have added me to your list of friends. I like the idea of writers providing “virtual strength” to one another. That is exactly what is initially. Then it becomes actual strength that manifests into more self-confidence and better writing.

Sita said...

I am honored and perlplexed that you have my name there, dear friend...for some reason, I haven't seen myself officially as a 'writer'...just an 'overflower' (-;..anyway,,thank you..and love the support and friends you've built up..I am sp proud of u!
Hey, it is still fall here, but this morning, we have a winter wonderland of snow!

Cheryl Wright said...

Sita,

Just few years after we met, I recognized you as a writer or maybe you'd prefer *a putter of words on paper*. I remember you wrote the most beautiful words on a card for my birthday.

I have long since forgotten the words and lost the card but the memory lingers.

You are a writer, a divine gift given to you by God. You just have to learn to use the word to describe yourself.

 
Share |